Saturday, June 21, 2008

Ever the punctual one

Happy Day-After-Summer-Solstice, everyone!

I celebrated yesterday night by staying over an extra four hours after my regular work shift, which ended up keeping me at the hospital for 17 hours, in total. Fittingly, it felt like the longest day of the year.

So, wow. As per usual, it's been a busy month (or so). I spent a long, relaxing week of it here:


And I do mean literally here, on the couch on the screened-in porch attached to my aunt and uncle's lake house in South Carolina. A couple of my cousins were celebrating their b'nei mitzvah (mitzvot?) nearby, creating the perfect opportunity to catch up with family and take some time off. If I wasn't with someone vaguely genetically related, I was reading "outside" and drinking my own weight in coffee. A girl could get used to this.

Back in Sea-town, it's on to wedding/birthday/visitor season. I turned 24 during the South Carolina visit, and am holding my celebratory horses until the family comes to visit in July (minus one sister, who will be doing theatrestuff in Chicago that week and can't come. My heart breaks for her). Somehow, during all the years we lived here, my dad, who also has a summer birthday, never made it to the top of the Space Needle, so when they're in town we'll all head up to the Needle restaurant to make up for lost time. I'm pretty excited about said visit, and am especially interested to see how well five grown people will actually fit into my tiny tiny apartment. This will be an adventure.

Wedding-wise, a good friend of mine from nursing school got hitched recently, as well (in town, thankfully. I feel like a lot of people have been picking obscure matrimonial locations that I can't get to recently. Am I THAT rowdy of a party guest?). The reception was great; very sunny, very chill, very fitting for the two of them (and everyone in attendance was very photogenic). It was a happy day.



In other happy news (which I don't have a corresponding photo for, sadly), I found a home for those crazy crazy socks I was working on. Turns out, my mom was planning on giving my younger sister a pair of bright green sneakers for her upcoming birthday and (gasp!) the socks matched perfectly. What was said sister's favorite part of said socks, you ask? The brightest neon yellow parts, of course. Those strobe lights-turned-footwear were meant for her; I just didn't know it yet when I first cast on.

Okay, enough ketchup for one day. Guess I'll go back to occasionally nodding off while watching Intervention reruns for fun and profit. Gotta love being on call. Who knows? Tonight just might end up feeling as lengthy as the one before...

No comments: